Welcome to IT expert and guest blogger, Alex Harris, who writes on cloud computing.
With the advent of cloud computing, it’s now possible as a freelancer or small business to have all the benefits of large business IT infrastructure, without having to buy and implement expensive IT equipment. The term ‘cloud’ is simply a metaphor for the Internet.
Cloud computing is Internet-based computing, whereby shared resources, software, and information are provided to computers and other devices on demand. Cloud computing comes into focus only when you think about what IT always needs: a way to increase capacity or add capabilities on the fly without investing in new infrastructure, training new personnel, or licensing new software.
The benefits cloud computing provides for freelancers and the advantages of implementing it are:
- Cost – Cloud computing is very cost effective, quick and easy to implement.
- Safety – Anything which is saved on your PC, Mac or laptop (i.e. all files, software, emails, images etc) will be stored on a remote server. This provides ultimate backup if your machine breaks down, is lost or stolen. All your work can be retrieved immediately.
- Security – Everything which is stored within the cloud is protected by the highest levels of security, virus software and onsite technical backup.
- Flexibility – Cloud computing offers the ultimate in ease to scale up and scale down your business.
- Email – Microsoft Outlook Exchange is standard and enables you to receive email, check old and all filed emails wherever you are, whether it be on a PC, laptop, Blackberry or iPhone. All these devices would be looking at the same version on a central remote server.
- Calendars – It is essential that on whichever device you’re using your calendar shows the same meetings, appointments as your PC, Blackberry or iPhone. MS Outlook enables full automatic synchronisation of your calendar between devices – and colleagues.
- Contacts – Having access to all your contacts on all devices should be standard. Your contacts will be centralised, accessible and updateable from all your fixed or mobile devices.
- File storage – All your files, images, music etc can be stored and backed up on a central and secure server. This gives you the peace of mind that no work will be lost if your computer dies or is lost. The additional benefit is that your files can be accessed from anywhere in the world on other machines.
For further information, please contact Alexander Harris IT Solutions as follows:
Tel: +44 (0)20 7386 8578
Mobile: +44 (0)7780 695 029