PLEASE NOTE THAT IN DECEMBER 2012,WORDPRESS DELETED THEIR APPLICATIONS AND SO THIS INFORMATION IS NO LONGER APPLICABLE.
If you link your WordPress blog to your LinkedIn profile, all your LinkedIn contacts will be notified in ‘updates’ that you’ve written a new blog post. It’s a great way of remaining visible to all your connections.
The first few lines of your post will appear in your profile and, when anyone clicks on the headline, they are taken directly to your blog.
Here’s how you connect your blog to your LinkedIn profile.
- Log into your LinkedIn account and click on ‘More‘ in the top navigation bar.
- Then choose ‘Applications‘ in the drop down menu. (Or ‘More applications‘ if you already have some LinkedIn applications installed on your profile).
- Click on the WordPress application.
- On the next page, make sure ‘Display on my profile‘ and ‘Display on LinkedIn homepage‘ are both ticked. Then click on ‘Add application‘.
- The next step is to set up your blog feed. Enter the url for your blog and, if you want to show every post, select ‘Show all recent posts from your blog‘. If you think that only certain posts will be relevant to your LinkedIn connections, select ‘Show only recent posts tagged LinkedIn‘. And then tag them #LinkedIn in your WordPress editor.
- The final step is to ensure your blog updates appear on your LinkedIn newsfeed. So, click ‘Account & Settings‘ at the top of the page. Then click ‘Profile and Status Updates‘. And select ‘yes‘ for ‘Publish profile updates and recommendations‘.
You can also install LinkedIn’s Bloglink application if your blog is on other platforms, such as TypePad, Movable Type, Vox, WordPress.com, Blogger, LiveJournal etc. The installation process is very similar to the one I’ve described above. As well as making your blog posts visible on your profile, it also shows you the latest blog posts written by connections in your network.