Posted on: May 27th, 2013
If you haven’t yet taken the plunge and gone self-employed, you might be wondering what the advantages of being freelance are.
You might be thinking to yourself: “Surely, you have to endure feasts and famines; you don’t get a regular salary paid into your bank each month; and it’s down to you to find all your own work?”
Yes, that is true enough. But, for me, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. That’s why, next month, I will be celebrating my 22nd year as a freelancer. I value the fact I can take time out to do a gym class during the day if I want to. I also don’t have to endure public transport at rush hour 10 times a week. And I don’t have to put up with office politics or difficult colleagues.
Read more »
Posted on: May 20th, 2010
If you’ve not yet decided whether freelancing is for you, here are ten advantages of going it alone:
- You won’t have a boss breathing down your neck. You ARE the boss.
- You set your own timetable. If you want to start at 11am, you can. If you want to take time out in the day and work at night, you can.
- You can take your laptop and work wherever you want to. No more being chained to a desk.
- When you find you have a free day, you can go out and enjoy yourself.
- You don’t have to put up with annoying work colleagues.
- When you’re busy and you need to put in extra hours, that extra money you earn goes into YOUR bank account not a big corporate’s.
- If you finish your day’s work at 4pm, you don’t have to stay at your desk until 5:30pm ‘looking busy’.
Read more »