If you are looking to start a blog but aren’t quite sure what the first steps are you need to take, here are my five top tips:
1. Choose a subject
- What are you an expert on?
- Who are you targeting?
- What do they want to learn?
- What need do they have that you can fulfil?
- How will your blog make a difference to them?
- What will make them want to read it?
- Where can you provide most value – what can you add to the blogosphere?
2. Ascertain demand
- How many blogs already exist on your chosen subject? (There’s obviously room for several blogs on the same topic in the blogosphere but don’t try and enter a hugely competitive area)
- Take a note of what do these blogs cover exactly – try and make your blog come from a slightly different angle
- Sign up to these blogs and read them regularly
3. Choose a blogging platform
- I advise WordPress. If you aren’t very techie then get someone to design and build it for you. It’s money well worth spending. Or if you want to have a stab at it yourself, why not sign up to these ten step by step videos ‘Become a Blogger‘ – they are completely free.
4. List out your first blog posts
- Come up with a list of blog posts to write about that will give value to your target audience. Try and write the first six weeks’ worth if you can.
5. Provide an incentive for people to sign up to your blog
- Mine is a downloadable pdf listing out 21 freelance challenges and how to overcome them. By getting people to sign up for your blog, your readers will get email reminders every time you publish a new post.
Once you’ve completed these first five steps, you’re ready to take your plunge into the world of blogging!
I’ll focus on how to market your blog and grow your readership in another post.