Welcome to my brand new blog – all about freelancing. In this first post, here are my top ten tips for starting out as a freelancer. They are in no particular order:
- Don’t give up on your day job until you know you have at least two clients on board.
- Put money aside every month for your tax bill.
- Put money aside in case you get sick and can’t work.
- Put a lot of effort into marketing yourself.
- Get a professional-looking website.
- If you work from home, invest in a good office chair.
- Hire a good accountant.
- Take holidays.
- Outsource tasks that are outside your area of knowledge (eg: setting up your IT system).
- Enjoy the fact that you no longer have a 9 to 5 job.
It doesn’t matter what kind of freelancer you are – web designer, IT contractor, copywriter, musician, illustrator etc – the information I’ll be providing will be of relevance to you whichever industry sector you operate in. I hope you’ll come back and read my next post.